Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Worry

Michael and I decided that we wanted to make it a priority this year to read our bibles every day.  So to help keep us accountable we decided to get on a reading plan, we both are reading through the bible in a year.  If you have a smart phone and haven't heard of the Youversion app, you should really check it out.  It has every translation of the bible you could possibly need, tons of reading plans and heck if you aren't feeling like reading yourself it will read to you!  So anyways we decided on the bible through a year reading plan, this gives us structure and doing it together gives us some accountability.  The other day during our reading I came across this piece of scripture and it really struck me:

Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink: or about your body, what you will wear.  Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?  Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not much more valuable than they?  Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to you life?
And why do you worry about clothes?  See how the flowers of the field grow.  They do not labor or spin.  Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.  If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, Will he not much more clothe you -  you of little faith?  So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?'  For the pagans run after these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.  But seek first his Kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.  Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Matthew 6:25-34

The Lord was definitely speaking to me through this scripture.  I am a huge worrier and it has been something that I have always struggled with, along with that I am a planner and am constantly thinking weeks and months ahead of myself trying to figure out what is next, which just adds to my worry.  This scripture really spoke to my heart, helping me to realize that the Lord loves me more than I will ever know,  and if he takes care of the birds and the fields why wouldn't he take care of his own child who he created.  With this move and all the things that came with it new job, new town, plans for the future, I find myself getting caught up in worry and anxiety, but now I can meditate on these words and know that ultimately my heavenly Father has my future in his hands and there really is no better place for it,  I can look back over my life and see that the Lord has always provided for me and abundantly at that, why would he stop now?  I also love the verse that says: can one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?  I mean really what is all this worrying doing, it's not going to change anything, it just creates space between me and God and all of his promises.  This is all much easier said than done and I know I will struggle with worry and anxiety for the rest of my life, but I do know through this scripture that I can ask the Lord for help, and be reminded that he loves me and will always provide for me.  My number one priority is to seek him in everything I do and as for everything else well: "your heavenly Father knows that you need them" and I trust that he will provide!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin